Six new sectors launched from IA Global and Specialist Sectors
Six new sectors are set to be launched from the Investment Association’s (IA) Global and Specialist sectors on Monday 13 September 2021.
Currently, the two sectors are among the largest within the classification scheme, with 471 funds included within the IA Global sector and 332 in the IA Specialist sector. As the retail fund market evolves and grows, the creation of the new sectors will help investors to more easily find similar types of funds. The decision to create the new sectors was taken by the IA Sectors Committee after a public consultation with the industry and sector users.
New country - regional equity sectors:
• Latin America
• India/Indian Subcontinent
• Financials and Financial Innovation
Alternative investment approaches:
• Commodity/Natural Resources
The IA continuously reviews sector classifications in order to make it easier for savers and their advisers to navigate the large universe of funds in the UK. This latest development will see the number of sectors increase from 52 to 58, housing over 4,100 funds.
Miranda Seath, Head of Market Insight at the Investment Association, said: “Our data shows that UK investors have an increasingly global outlook, as the share of FUM invested in overseas equities rises year-on-year. Whether investors are looking for opportunities in developing economies such as Latin America and India, or to take advantage of advances in industries such as healthcare, there is now a more diverse range of funds classified to the IA sectors than ever before, including the recent addition of ETFs.
“If clear fund groupings emerge from some of the largest IA sectors, carving out meaningful new sectors can help investors and their advisers to make like-for-like comparisons. The launch of these six sectors should help all investors to better understand the investment opportunities available to them.”
For further information, please contact:
Katie Martin, Head of Communications: [email protected]
T: +44 (0)20 7269 4655
Clive Booth, Communications Manager: [email protected]
T: +44 (0)20 7269 4620
Camilla Esmund, Communications Executive: [email protected]
T: +44 (0)20 7269 4625
IA press office: [email protected]
T: 020 7269 4696
About the Investment Association (IA):
- The IA champions UK investment management, supporting British savers, investors and businesses. Our 250 members manage £8.5 trillion of assets and the investment management industry supports 113,000 jobs across the UK.
- Our mission is to make investment better. Better for clients, so they achieve their financial goals. Better for companies, so they get the capital they need to grow. And better for the economy, so everyone prospers.
- Our purpose is to ensure investment managers are in the best possible position to:
- Build people’s resilience to financial adversity
- Help people achieve their financial aspirations
- Enable people to maintain a decent standard of living as they grow older
- Contribute to economic growth through the efficient allocation of capital.
- The money our members manage is in a wide variety of investment vehicles including authorised investment funds, pension funds and stocks and shares ISAs.
- The UK is the second largest investment management centre in the world, after the US and manages over a third (37%) of all assets managed in Europe.