Investment Association appoints Keith Skeoch as new Board Chair
Thursday 13 February 2020
Keith Skeoch, CEO of Standard Life Aberdeen, has just been appointed Chair of the Investment Association’s (IA) Board. Michelle Scrimgeour, CEO of Legal & General Investment Management, and Patrick Thomson, CEO for EMEA of J.P. Morgan Asset Management, have been appointed Deputy Chairs, in a move to bolster the IA’s long-term strategic direction and industry leadership.
The three were appointed to the most senior positions on the IA’s Board, following a Board meeting and vote earlier this afternoon, and will assume their roles on 1 May 2020. Keith replaces Peter Harrison, Group CEO of Schroders, as Chair after his three-year term as Chair comes to an end. Michelle and Patrick replace Keith as Deputy Chair of the IA Board.
Chris Cummings, Chief Executive of the Investment Association, said:
“The Board sits at the heart of what we do at the IA and ensures we remain focused on the priorities of the industry and those it serves. Given the pace and scale of the changes faced by our industry, here in the UK and internationally, it has never been more important to have a strong voice speaking up for the investment management industry.
“I am delighted that Keith, and Michelle and Patrick, have been appointed as the new Chair and Deputy Chairs of our Board. Their fresh perspectives and senior business experience will be invaluable in the years ahead.
“I would also like to pay tribute to Peter Harrison, who has been an inspirational Chair of the IA and who has helped build it into the organisation of influence that it is today.”
Keith Skeoch, Chair of the Investment Association and CEO of Standard Life Aberdeen, said:
“The asset management industry plays key roles in allocating capital to businesses and infrastructure projects, engaging with companies on ESG issues and importantly helping millions of people achieve their long-term financial objectives. I am honoured to be appointed Chair of the Board of the Investment Association and look forward to working with Chris Cummings and his team to ensure the industry continues to focus on delivering for clients, investors and the UK economy.”
Michelle Scrimgeour, Deputy Chair of the Investment Association and CEO of Legal & General Investment Management, said:
“I very much appreciate the confidence of my Board colleagues and look forward to playing my part in ensuring that we have robust conversations around the future direction of our sector. As the industry’s trade body, we must continue to evolve and support the highest standards for all savers and investors. I am looking forward to working with Chris and the Board as we help to shape the future agenda for investments in the UK.”
Patrick Thomson, Deputy Chair of the Investment Association and CEO for EMEA at J.P. Morgan Asset Management, said:
“It’s a great privilege to be selected to help the asset management industry at this time of significant change. Our industry plays a pivotal role in the UK economy assisting business growth and helping UK savers meet their goals. I look forward to collaborating with Chris Cummings and the Board, as we help clients to navigate the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead.”
Notes to Editor:
- Board appointments are made for a three-year term, after which members may retire or seek re-election.
- There are 17 Directors on the IA Board.
- Peter Harrison became Chair of the IA Board on 1 May 2017. Keith Skeoch was appointed Deputy Chair on 1 August 2019
For further information, please contact:
Katie Martin, Head of Communications: [email protected]
T: +44 (0)20 7269 4655
Helen Ayres, Communications Manager: [email protected]
T: +44 (0)20 7269 4620
David Parton, Communications Executive: [email protected]
T: +44 (0)20 7269 4625
IA press office: [email protected]
T: 020 7269 4696
About the Investment Association (IA):
- The IA champions UK asset management, supporting British savers, investors and businesses. Our 250 members manage £7.7 trillion of assets and the asset management industry supports 115,000 jobs across the UK.
- Our mission is to make investment better. Better for clients, so they achieve their financial goals. Better for companies, so they get the capital they need to grow. And better for the economy, so everyone prospers.
- Our purpose is to ensure investment managers are in the best possible position to:
- Build people’s resilience to financial adversity
- Help people achieve their financial aspirations
- Enable people to maintain a decent standard of living as they grow older
- Contribute to economic growth through the efficient allocation of capital.
- The money our members manage is in a wide variety of investment vehicles including authorised investment funds, pension funds and stocks and shares ISAs.
- The UK is the second largest investment management centre in the world, after the US and manages 37% of all assets managed in Europe.