Investment20/20 launches hunt for investment industry ambassadors
Thursday 19 September
Investment20/20, the grassroots careers service for the investment management industry, has today launched its Ambassadors Programme as part of its new Careers and Talent Strategy, and is appealing for those working within investment management to become industry ambassadors.
Ambassadors are asked to give an hour of their time to share their career journey and explain the purpose of investment management, with young people and students furthest from the industry. Last year, Investment20/20 visited over 150 schools, colleges and universities to speak with 7,000 students, and the new industry ambassadors will play a key role in growing this outreach.
This initiative is part of the wider Careers and Talent Strategy and builds on Investment20/20’s successful track record in having recruited over 1,400 trainees. The strategy takes a holistic approach to increasing diversity within the industry, from introducing students to investment management through the Ambassadors Programme, providing work experience and skills training, to offering employment opportunities through the one-year traineeship programme.
As part of the Strategy, Investment20/20 will also repeat its Think Investments programme, with a further cohort of Year 13 students, as well as introducing an undergraduate programme in 2020. The Think Investments programme, through a series of interactive masterclasses hosted by investment management firms, helps students apply for jobs and trainee roles within the industry. The masterclasses cover topics such as success at interviews and assessment centres, effective communication and networking.
Karis Stander, Managing Director of Investment20/20 said:
“Our industry needs ambassadors who can share their passion for investment management and inspire the next generation of students to take up the incredible career opportunities our sector has to offer.
"So today, as we launch our Careers and Talent Strategy, we are kicking off a nationwide search for people working in the investment management industry who will rise to the challenge and help us find the next cohort of young people who might never have heard of investment management or thought it was for them, but who have the potential to flourish.”
The Strategy was launched today at an event hosted by Barings and attended by over 80 HR professionals from across the investment management industry.
- ENDS -
For further information, please contact:
Helen Ayres, Communications Manager: [email protected]
T: +44 (0)20 7269 4620
IA press office: [email protected]
T: 020 7269 4696
For more information on the Ambassadors Programme, click here.
- Investment20/20 is an industry careers service with a focus on widening access to diverse talent at grassroots level.
- Investment20/20 has recruited and supported over 1,300 trainees and apprentices for its 35 partner firms from the investment and wealth management sector since it was founded six years ago by Andrew Formica, joint-CEO Janus Henderson Investors and Nichola Pease, former CEO of JO Hambro.
- Investment20/20’s aims are to ensure an increasingly wide range of students can access the knowledge they need to make an informed decision; to make opportunities easier to find and applications more straightforward; and to engender a positive perception of the industry amongst all the students in 3,400 schools, colleges and universities with which the programme communicates. Investment20/20 will also continue to provide valuable training and networking opportunities in London and Edinburgh to new recruits into the sector.
- Key statistics about Investment20/20:
- 75% of those recruited have been offered permanent roles after the programme;
- 85% of trainees have come from state schools and 50% are school leavers;
- 41% are BAME and 37% are female.
- Of the graduates, 49% are the first in their family to go to university, 57% studied non-finance-related subjects (e.g. maths, economics or finance).
- For more details about Investment2020 visit our website.
About the Investment Association (IA):
- The IA champions UK investment management, supporting British savers, investors and businesses. Our 250 members manage £7.7 trillion of assets and the investment management industry supports 100,000 jobs across the UK.
- Our mission is to make investment better. Better for clients, so they achieve their financial goals. Better for companies, so they get the capital they need to grow. And better for the economy, so everyone prospers.
- Our purpose is to ensure investment managers are in the best possible position to:
- Build people’s resilience to financial adversity
- Help people achieve their financial aspirations
- Enable people to maintain a decent standard of living as they grow older
- Contribute to economic growth through the efficient allocation of capital.
- The money our members manage is in a wide variety of investment vehicles including authorised investment funds, pension funds and stocks and shares ISAs.
- The UK is the second largest investment management centre in the world, after the US and manages 35% of all assets managed in Europe.